Thursday, January 12, 2012

That's my bobbin!

Well, it will be. I have 6 on the way. I hope they fit. This a long shuttle bobbin, also known as a vibrating shuttle bobbin. 


Item image

It's for my Kenmore 117.36 - a very heavy, very old sewing machine that I bought from an "antique store" that was a bit like the "antique store" on Sanford and Son. 


It only came with one and I'm going to spend a good chunk of time this long week getting comfortable sewing with it. I bought a box of Sunbrella and other canvas remnants. I also bought some 40 gauge vinyl and a video called "Make Your Own Dodger" from Sailrite. It's time to test the plan. I'm going to try to repair and replace the canvas coverings and vinyl windows on The Boat. Kind of exciting, actually!

I'm also going to be doing some research online. Marine Fabricator's how-to articles should get me going! Don't you love the Internet? 

Get Going ... Slowing! I'm going to take it slow this weekend. I'm not saying I'm going to take it easy, but I want to use the weekend time better. To recharge, refresh and be ready to face the new week anew - not just feeling like the weekend was too short.

5 comments:

  1. Old machines are such fun. Have a great time getting to know it. Thanks so much for visiting Chittle Chattle too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a bobbin like that. Very cool. Sunbrella is very expensive here. (wholesale is $100.00 / yard) Good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @nuvofelt - Thanks, I spent several hours with it today. It has such a solid feel. I'm lovin' it!

    @Janlynn - I hadn't either but I guess it was pretty common in treadle machines and the early electric machines. The machine worked great today - even with that vinyl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julia,
    So glad you came by the fabric postcard site. Love what you've done with your site as well. :) It sounds as though you are taking on a big project. Not sure I have the patience for something like that. I have made a couple king sized quilts and about tore my hair out in the process. With ADD I like instant gratification. Well almost instant. Hopefully soon I will get back into the fabric posties. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mom - it's a big project for me, too! I'm just taking it one step at a time and since there aren't human body challenges, I'm liking the progress! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete